Call for a FREE Consultation
Serving Northwest Michigan
Find us on Facebook


Social Security Disability 

Social Security Disability Benefits

The Law Offices of Mark W. Viel in Big Rapids, MI provide legal representation for clients who have been unfairly denied a claim for social security disability benefits.

Call us today at (800) 924-2915 to set up your free initial consultation.
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) -
Below are some of the most frequently asked questions about Social Security Disability Benefits:

How do I apply for Social Security Disability Benefits?

You should apply for benefits as soon as you become disabled. You may file by phone, mail, online at or by visiting your nearest Social Security office. Note that while you may be entitled to receive “past due” benefits from the date that you became disabled, you may only reach back one year of those benefits from the date that you apply. Therefore, the sooner you apply after becoming disabled, the better.

What should I do if my claim is denied?

If your claim is denied, or if you disagree with any part of the decision on your claim, you may appeal the decision. You have 60 days from the date that you receive the denial letter, in which to file your appeal. The Social Security Administration will assume that you received their letter within five days of the date that the letter is stamped, unless you can show that you received it later. If you fail to appeal your case within the 60 day appeal period and do not have a legitimate reason for failing to appeal your denial in a timely manner, you will have to completely re-file your claim with the Social Security Administration. The Law Offices of Mark W. Viel would be happy to answer any questions that you may have regarding the appeal paperwork.

At what point should I consider legal representation?

We generally advise claimants to file their initial application for Social Security Disability benefits on their own. Many individuals are awarded benefits at this step – so there is no need to incur the expense of an attorney. However, once a claimant’s initial application has been denied, they should immediately seek representation as they only have 60 days in which to file an appeal.

What does it cost to have the Law Office of Mark Viel represent me?

We handle claims based on a CONTINGENCY FEE basis – which means there is NO FEE unless we are successful in the claim. Our fee is set by the Social Security Administration, but generally the fee is 25% of a claimant’s past due benefits, which is subject to a maximum “cap” set by the government. there is no fee on any future or ongoing benefits owed to a claimant. We do charge for expenses regardless of whether we win or lose a case. By expenses, we mean the cost of ordering medical records, conferences with or statements from a doctor, or other expenses related to your case. We do not charge expenses for our general operating costs. This means that every consultation with the Law Offices of Mark W. Viel is free.

What information should I have available when I contact the Law Office of Mark W. Viel?

The following is a list of information which would help us in making a determination about how we might help your with your claim. We suggest that you have as many as possible of the following details available when placing your initial call to us:
  • Your name, address and a phone number where we can reach you
  • Details about your physical and / or mental disabilities
  • The names, addresses and phone numbers of the doctors that have treated you for your disabling problems.
  • Any restrictions which have been placed on you by your doctors.
  • Work history information, including dates of employment for the past 15 years.
  • Any payments that you may have received as a result of your disabilities.
Share by: